Day 4.
After breakfast we set out to drive along one of the loveliest stretches of road, I know to our first stop. The village of Barran as small as it is, appeals to me because of the church, Saint-Jean-Baptist de Barran, is not only set in small picturesque surroundings but also has twisted spiral church tower.
The following village of Bassouse is also interesting. It is the only village that I have come across where the short main road through the centre is covered and used as a market each week.
As a 'bastide' village it also has a magnificent tower that can be climbed, 197 steps, from which you can see the wonderful varied countryside of Gers.
And so on to Marciac.
A small town close to my heart for the fifteen-day Jazz Festival held every year at the end of July until mid-August. There is not a lot to see here so shopping for supplies we move to the lake-side for a picnic, with myself hoping that we mi
ght catch a glimpse of a kingfisher I have seen on previous visits.
The return journey to Auch is by the tiny hamlet of Tillac. (Google photos of Tillac, Gers, France). This is a one main street consisting of nothing but a quaint Collonade of small wooden dwellings.
At the entrance to Tillac is a small restaurant with a terrace next to an old flower bedecked well where I always enjoy a beer or more appealingly Armanac.
Sunday is Heidemarie's birthday so after a rather special dinner we danced together.






