Summary

THE LAND WHERE EVERY DAY IS SUNDAY






   This chapter in my varied life is a much repeated, enchanting, six-day journey to the old historic, Gascony region of France. Comfortably located on the north side of the high Pyrenees mountains it is a land of rolling lush green countryside interspersed by woods and sudden quaint villages that seem oblivious to the passing of time. Where any excess noise or disturbance seems an almost sacrilegious violation against its priorities, it's proud people and historical inheritance. A region of immense variation where myths meets with legends such as the three musketeers.(Here I mention that the hero of Alexandre Dumas’s ‘Three Muscateers’ D’Artagnan, actually lived here as did, Athos, Porthos and Aramis). Here can be found all that the traveller can wish for including hospitality, excellent cuisine, inspiring spirits in the form of Armagnac, all together with a prolific variety of wines from the neighbouring region of Bordeaux. Here I would mention that the wonderfully melodic name ‘Gascony’ does not exist today as the region has been split into three different areas, Gers, Landes and the Hautes-Pyrenees with the capital city of Auch.






   My love and appreciation for this area began some fifty years ago when I first became resident in Valencia. I have always looked upon a map as being a ‘window on the world’ and the first time I really studied this area my attention was drawn to a town with, not surprisngly, the auspicious name of Condom. Also, an even more attractive reason, was the village of Marciac, some forty-five kilometres from Auch, the capital city. The magnetic pull of Marciac was the Jazz Festival which is usually held every year during the first two weeks of August. So, without more ado fellow travellers, let's go!....



PrevDay           Summary        Next Day


                      



PrevDay           Summary        Next Day

                                             









Summary

THE LAND WHERE EVERY DAY IS SUNDAY     This chapter in my varied life is a much repeated, enchanting, six-day journey to the old historic, G...